Watlow's silicone rubber heaters are rugged, yet thin, lightweight and flexible. Use of these heaters is limited only by the imagination. Heat can be put where it is needed. These silicone heaters improve heat transfer, speed warm ups, and decrease wattage requirements.
Fiberglass-reinforced silicone rubber gives the heater dimensional stability without sacrificing flexibility. Because very little material separates the element from the part, heat transfer is rapid and efficient. The silicone rubber heaters are constructed with a wire-wound element or an etched foil element. The heater construction creates a very thin heater allowing it to fit applications where space is limited.
Features and Benefits
- Designed to the exact shape and size needed which conforms to the component and/or equipment
- More than 80 designs available immediately from stock reduces downtime
- Constructed with wire-wound or etched foil elements provides the desired flexibility for many dynamic applications and delivers low mass and easily repeatable distributed watt densities
- Moisture and chemical-resistant silicone rubber material provides longer heater life
- Vulcanizing adhesives or fasteners allows heaters to be easily bonded to parts
- Operating temperatures up to 500°F (260°C)
- Watt densities up to 80 W/in2 (12.5 W/cm2), dependent upon application temperature
- Wire-wound element thickness — 0.055 in. (1.4 mm)
- Etched foil element — 0.022 in. (0.56 mm)
- UR®, cUR®, VDE and CE recognitions are available on many designs up to 428°F (220°C)
Teflon® Type E (MIL-W-16878) and Teflon® UL® 1199 rated for 392°F (200°C)/600V are also available.
Silicone Insulated Leads
For a better moisture seal, specify UL® silicone insulated lead wires. This lead type is rated for 302°F (150°C)/ 600V. Any lead length is available. Note: Silicone rubber heaters are not designed to be waterproof. Excess exposure to moisture may facilitate premature heater failure.
To increase the heating efficiency of your application, silicone rubber heaters can be thermally insulated with silicone sponge rubber, bonded to one side in the following thicknesses: 1⁄16, 1⁄8, 1⁄4, 3⁄8 or 1⁄2 in. (1.6, 3.2, 6, 9.5 or 13 mm) An aluminized surface can be added to the back of the heater to reduce radiated heat losses. This aluminized surface, called “low loss treatment,” adds very little to the unit thickness and maintains a very clean appearance.
HPN Cord and Plug Set
For removable heaters, a 6 ft (1.8 m) HPN cord and plug set provides convenience. It is rated for 194°F (90°C)/ 300V. HPN cord without a plug is also available in any length.
Many three-dimensional shapes, such as cylinders, cones and boxes, can be factory formed. Semi-rigid shapes can be self-gripping to the part. Special tooling may be required for some designs.
Holes, Cutouts and Notches
Watlow can provide flexible heaters with special holes, cutouts and notches in nearly any position required for your design. The resistance element can be brought to within 1⁄8 in. (3.2 mm) of all edges. Standard spacing is 1⁄4 in. (6 mm) from all edges.
Download the Flexible Silicone Laminate Heater Datasheet
Fill out our flexible heating application form
and we will have one of our process heating experts contact you, or call(855) 737-4718
to speak to one of our experts immediately.